Thierry Karsenti, M.A., M.Ed., Ph.D. , Thierry Karsenti, M.A., M.Ed., Ph.D., holds the Canada Research Chair on information and communication technologies (ICTs) in education. He is also a professor at the Université de Montréal, in the field of information and communication technologies and their integration in teacher training and education.
The objective of the Canada research chairs is to attain excellence in research in the fields of science, engineering, health sciences, and the social sciences and humanities. As a result, Canadians are able to extend their knowledge and improve their quality of life, while at the same time Canadian competitiveness is reinforced at the international level. In addition, they help train the next generation of highly qualified workers thanks to student supervision, their teaching duties and the coordination of the work of other researchers. Professor Thierry Karsenti holds a Tier 1 chair, which under the Canada Research Chairs Program, is granted to researchers of exceptional ability who are recognized by their peers as world leaders in their field.
Thierry Karsenti’s accomplishments and techno-pedagogical innovations for both open and distance learning have received recognition at the provincial and Canadian levels. In this respect, he has earned:
- The 2012 Education Insider Award for the project Pan-African research agenda on the pedagogical integration of ICTs;
- The 2011 Award for Excellence and Innovation from the Canadian Association for Graduate Studies (CAGS);
- Two awards form the Québec Ministry of Education;
- A Prix Hommage from the Government of Québec;
- The Award for Excellence in Pedagogical Conception from the Canadian Association for Distance Education;
- The PEDAGOGICA-RESCOL Prize for pedagogical innovation in the integration of TICs,
- The 2010 Apple Distinguished Educator of the year award (university level),
- The 2009 MERLOT Jury Prize for a project on educational technologies in Africa.
Thierry Karsenti has also been awarded the Five-Yearly Award for Excellence in Teaching.
Furthermore, Professor Karsenti is noted for the contribution his research has made into the quality of pedagogy at the university level. His research interests are concerned with the pedagogical integration of new technologies, pedagogical teaching practices, open and distance learning, and motivation.
As part of his professional activities, Professor Karsenti also participates in various projects of international scope, thereby playing a key role in a vast international network in which the technologies of information and communication in situations of open and distance learning are becoming a high priority.
- Ph.D. Education (UQAM)
- Ph.D. (Doctorate in applied linguistics, thesis uncompleted) (McGill)
- M.A. Didactics (UQAM)
- M.Ed. Applied Linguistics (McGill)
- Major in Literature (Université de Montréal)
- Bachelor of Education Science (Université de Montréal